Advantages and Disadvantages from the student perspective
Ever thought about taking one to one lessons?
What are the advantages and the disadvantages?
Here are a few tips based on our experience.
Studying by yourself has a number of advantages. The most frequent are:
- The course will be designed around your language needs, your interests and your learning style. This means that the lessons will be organised to cover precisely what you need, about what you like and what you are interested in, and will offer activities to maximise your learning.
- The pace of the lessons will respect the pace of your learning.
- The programme is not set in stone so, if while you’re learning your needs change, the programme will change too.
- Lessons will take place at times that suit you.
- You have the option to reschedule free of charge by giving 48-hour notice.
Disadvantages and solutions
Studying by yourself can have some disadvantages. The most frequent can be:
- You may not know what you need to learn. We offer a free consultation before starting the course: this allows you and your teacher to explore in detail your level and your needs.
- The attention is all on you! This is both an advantage as we have seen earlier and a disadvantage because when you are particularly tired it can feel too much. Our expert teachers are able to quickly reorganise the sequence of the lesson or modify the dynamic of the activities to actually offer you resting times and revitalising activities to restore your energy level.
- Too many options can be overwhelming at times: how do you choose the topics, the time, etc? Your teacher will make suggestions based on your needs: learning on a one to one basis doesn’t mean that you are on your own; you and your teacher are a team!
- Lessons are more expensive than group classes and the reasons for that have been listed above. Your time and efforts will be channelled to achieve your goals and your potential. Hiring a professional is expensive…but not too much, considering the benefits.
So, if you have been thinking about taking one to one lessons and you have a question, contact us at email@example.com and claim your 15% discount if booking before the end of July 2021.
We offer Arabic (MS and a variety of dialects), Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese Mandarin, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian and Spanish at all levels.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Written by Lara Panzini
About the author
Lara Panzini started her carrier in education as a qualified primary school teacher. She holds a BSc (First Class Honours) Professional Studies from London University – Academic research methods applied to the workplace. She specialised in language teaching by obtaining a TEFL certificate and a certificate in Teaching Italian as a Foreign Language, RSA Diploma in Teaching Foreign Language to Adults (DTFLA), RSA Assessor Award: Training and Development (NCVQ: Level 3) and is a Business Cultural Trainer.